Monday, April 16, 2007

Travel Component Pictures... Part 2 :)

Dearest Persons,
I've been trying to upload pictures from all the places that I went into one post, but I am so very impatient and internet is so slow, so here are the last half of travel component. I hope you enjoy looking through them and I can't WAIT to show you the rest of the pictures from Syria and my favorite country, Turkey... and then others from this week back in Cairo. Seven days and I will be back in the States. I can't wait to see you and love on you and tell you more about my experience here. So, with no further adieu let's picture it up... :)

This is a picture taken on an incredible hike we went on to end our time in Turkey... we're all just taking a little photo break.

These are the incredible hills of Capadocia, Turkey that we hiked around and through. The caves here are amazing!

WELCOME TO SYRIA!!
Our first full day in Syria we went to THE most incredible place I have ever been in my life... it was absolutely breathtaking... This is the Krak, a castle slash fortress that sits up on a hill in Syria.

And this is me at the top of the Krak! Check out the valley!

Ha ha!! Great sign, aye?? Get a load of the clothes...

Aren't we so hot? :)

REAL SYRIAN FOOD!!! This is me... on the Street Called Straight in Damascus, yes that's right... the place where Ananias went to heal Saul... and in my hands are what I love most at Lazeza in Lima... a chicken schwaarma sandwich and a raspberry Lazeza drink!

WELCOME TO JORDAN!!
This is me reading in the Dead Sea... it's so salty, nothing sinks!!

And this is one of the incredible pictures of the sun setting over the Dead Sea. The mountains you see are part of Israel... where we would journey to the very next day...

WELCOME TO ISRAEL!

We stayed in Jerusalem for the last two weeks of our travels and visited many different places...

This is the Mount of Olives... can you pick out the Olive Trees?

"O Little Town of Bethlehem..."

On Palm Sunday a bunch of us got up super early and headed to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, where Jesus supposedly died, and participated in the 3 church combined liturgical service.

Early one morning my friends went to the Dome of the Rock Mosque... I didn't go with them because of my foot, but I stole two of Courtney's pictures from the big event. :)

(In case you were wondering what I mean by my foot... I'm ok... I got rolled on by a horse several picture albums back and I think sprained both of my ankles and bruised up my legs... I recovered halfway through Turkey, but walking around Jerusalem re-sprained or hurt my right ankle and I had some difficulty several different days walking around alot.)

We were able to go to the West Bank one day and meet with Palestinian Students... and this is the so called "fence" that surrounds the city of Bethany where we were that separates the West Bank including the cities of Bethlehem, Bethany, Ramallah and others from Jerusalem.

The "fence" blows me away.

CHRIST IS RISEN!
HE IS RISEN INDEED!

Happy Easter!! This is all of us out for coffee after our own sunrise service on the roof and between the Eucharist service and the Celebration Church Service at the Anglican Church on Easter morning.
This is my new Canadian friend Hillary and I on the bus taking a tour of the Golan Heights and Galilee... basically all over Northern Israel passing near Jordan, Syria and Lebanon.

I'm walking on water!!! :)

This was my very favorite place in all of our travels... I think because all the Holy Land places that we visited were "shrined up"... there were big signs and ornate decorations that let you know where you were... and I loved the Sea of Galilee because it was so real... just like it would have been when Jesus was here and boated on the Lake... and there was no huge sign coming out of the water to mark the spot where Peter walked... it was just peaceful and really made me think about this Jesus we serve and thoroughly appreciate the stories in the Bible that are set in Galilee so much more than ever before.

Another shot of the beauty of Northern Israel.

I'll never forget when I was in 8th grade and I didn't want to go to our Nazarene Church and I asked Mom why there even was a Nazarene Church and I'll never forget her answer... "Kara. Jesus was a Nazarene." Oh. Haa!!
Welcome to Nazareth... Where it all began... :)

A shot of the Dome of the Rock and the rooftops of Jerusalem from our rooftop...

The Wailing Wall...

And a shot of me at the Wailing Wall... I was trying to smile slash look serious and not turn my back to the wall out of respect.

So, that's the end of the journey... much more to follow!! Goodnight for now!
Trusting in His Mighty Grip,
Your Kara Joy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That picture from the 'Krak' is really cool. Looks like a very fun trip!