Wednesday, April 18, 2007

i don't understand... and it makes me sick.

Dearest Persons,

Virginia Tech
Iraq Report

Tears are falling from the Father's face like the rain is pouring down from heaven beating the streets of Cairo, in the middle of the desert... where it never rains. I don't understand, I don't understand, I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!! God... do you SEE what is going on in this your world!?! 32 people slaughtered in Virginia... 200 people slaughtered in Iraq today... countless others dying all over the world every day, every day EVERY DAY! Tears are falling from my face like the rain is pouring down from heaven beating on the streets of Cairo, in the middle of the desert... where it never rains.

I'm beside myself right now. I feel sick to my stomach. There is no reason, there is no rhyme to explain why people are killing each other. When is it going to end?

Is peace or just a day of no death as rare, or should I say rarer than the rain falling in the desert? God, our thirst is killing us and driving us to kill each other. When will you send the rains to quench our hatred, our anger, our pain? When will the waters sooth our sweltering skin and smoldering hearts? When will it end? Ever?

God, didn't you say that if your people who are called by your name will humble themselves and pray and seek your face then you'll hear from heaven and come down and heal our land? Can you hear the voices of the people that are crying out in response to the heavy violence inflicting our world tonight? How many more people need to cry out? How can I convince people that you are the answer, you are the peace and that you will answer when all I can see is the devastation?


Give ear, O God, and hear; open your eyes and see the desolation of the city that bears your Name. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. O Lord, listen! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, hear and act! For your sake, O my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name. -Daniel 9:18-19

My eyes fail from weeping, I am in torment within, my heart is poured out on the ground because my people are destroyed, because children and infants faint in the streets of the city. They say to their mothers, "Where is the bread and wine?" as they faint like wounded men in the streets of the city, as their lives ebb away in their mothers' arms. -Lamentations 2:11-12

How long, O Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save? Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted. -Habakkuk 1:2-4

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. -Jesus, John 16:33

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 4:6-7

But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear - hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh. -Jude 20-23


Friends, I am sorry that I this blog is not happy-go-lucky or full of joy. I am really struggling with issues of justice and my role as a student, as a social worker, and most of all... as a Christ follower. Will you join me and PRAY? Will you lift up your voice to the God of heaven and cry out with me for our brothers and sisters across the world, Jesus lovers and those that do not know him, that are hurting and crying because of the injustice that is afflicting them and their lives? Will you ask your friends to pray as well? Even when it doesn't make sense and when it is hard to see God moving... he is and he is listening to our cries. We can't give up or give in and stop crying. We can't.

Grasping for His Grip,
Your Kara Joy

No comments: